Links I Like
“The Man Who
Hated Work and Loved Labor — The Life and Times of Tony Mazzocchi”
This is a fascinating book about a labor leader who has had tremendous
influence on our lives, but whose name is not even known by millions of
Americans. Please read my review.
The Sources of Our Rights
The Virginia Bill of Rights, 1776, Article 13
That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people trained to arms, is
the proper, natural and safe defense of a free state; that standing armies in time of
peace should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should
be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.
The Massachusetts Bill of Rights, 1780, Article XVII
The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defense. And as, in
time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without
the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact
subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.
U.S. Constitution, Second Amendment
A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of
the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Pennsylvania Constitution, Article I, Section 21
Right To Bear Arms
The Right of Citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be
Alaska Constitution, Article I, Section 19
A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The
individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by
the state or a political subdivision of the state.
Articles and Other Information:
Books, Essays, Articles & Information
A Very Excellent Essay
Speech and Guns
My Writings On Firearm and Related Issues
- District of Columbia v. Heller
— A very, very important case before the U.S. Supreme Court in the
spring of 2008.
- District of Columbia v. Heller, Part 2
- Sorry, Nothing Personal
— Campus- and shopping mall-type massacres.
- The Second Amendment Ten Years
– in The Ethical Spectacle: This is a follow-up to the 1996 articles.
- Misdirected Journalism
— in The Ethical Spectacle: Vice President shot a friend in a hunting accident. It resulted from an
unforgivable violation of the rules of gun safety. Otherwise, it was making
a mountain out of a mole hill to score political points.
- Articles in The Ethical Spectacle Web
This interesting Web magazine devoted the September, 1996, issue to the subject of gun
control, as it did for much of the March, 1995, issue. The publisher had earlier written a
number of articles on the subject and graciously allowed me to contribute rebuttals to all
of them. They appeared in that September, 1996, issue, along with further articles by the
publisher and other contributors.
- A Letter to the Editor of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, May 28,
- A Letter to the ACLU About Its Second Amendment Policy
Articles on other topics which have parts related to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
- Down With Obama
- What’s So Special?
- The Candidates
- One Less Lie
- Invaded by Visigoths — Your Friends Might Be Visigoths, Too
- Response to a Friend
- President Obama is Hamstrung
- Labor Leaders and the Future of Unions
Important, Must-Read Articles
- How Many Anti-Gun Activists Does it Take . . . ?
- Gun control advocates again spread deliberately confusing (and wrong) statistics.
- “Stand Your
Ground” Laws Attacked Despite Broad Public Support
- Concealed carry: Why the uproar?
- Information on the U.S.
Supreme Court case District of Columbia v. Heller
- First They Came for the Fascists ... , On the Defense
- of Randy Weaver, by Gerry Spence
The Constitutional Right and Social Obligation to Carry a Gun
- by the late Robert H. Boatman. It’s an abridgement of a chapter in his book “Living with Glocks.” The full chapter is available
at www.ironwordranch.com. This is, of course, even longer. Also on the same page are
shorter essays drawn from some of Boatman’s other books (none of which I have read). The guy
is very blunt and forthright; I like that – it’s entertaining, too. He is also politically
conservative, his right of course. Unfortunately, he lets it unnecessarily intrude somewhat
into his philosophy of guns. One does not need to be conservative to support the Bill of
Rights. Boatman makes some statements that show that his view of the political spectrum
is out of whack. For example, he states that the government of England is
which is ludicrous; it is pretty much in the center, if not a little conservative. He
also states that certain leading Democratic Party politicians are leftists and socialists,
which is also silly. And he makes some other statements that are that misstate political
reality. However, his main thrust is excellent and I choose to overlook his eccentricities.
All of the essays are worth reading.
- Stopping Power, a book by J.
- Why 70 Million Americans Own Guns? Even if you dont need convincing, youll
learn a lot -- download the book for a very reasonable price.
- A Nation of
False Promise of Gun Control, by Daniel D. Polsby,
- From the March 1994 issue of The Atlantic Monthly.
- A Primer on the Constitutional Right
to Keep and Bear Arms
Value of Civilian Arms Possession As Deterrent To
- Crime Or Defense
Against Crime, by Don B. Kates, Jr.
Racist Roots of Gun Control
- Laws Designed To Disarm Slaves, Freedmen, and
The Racist History of Handgun Bans in America
- No Guns For The
Other Articles from the NRA
- Did You Know?
- History of President Obama’s views on gun control and other information.
- Gun control laws
may be partly at fault in massacre
- by John R. Lott, in The Chicago Sun-Times, August 29, 2003
- “Arming America” A Novel Rewrite
by Clayton Cramer
Bill of Rights and the States by Stefan B. Tahmassebi
- Bigotry, Symbolism and
Ideology in the Battle Over Gun Control by Don B. Kates, Jr.
The Original Perspective
- The Fifth Amendment, Self-Incrimination, and
- Gun Registration
by Clayton Cramer
Judge Rules Second Amendment Protects an
Right to Keep and Bear Arms
- Study Finds 'Forgotten' High-Court Gun Cases
Show Personal Right
- to Bear Arms, Recognized Over 2 Centuries
- The Second Amendment & The United States Supreme Court
Citizens and Crime Control by Paul H. Blackman, Ph.D.
Armed Society by Stephen P. Halbrook (About Switzerland)
Myths & Other Tall Tales about Gun Laws, Crime
- and Constitutional Rights
- Democrats rethink
Control & The Long Island Railroad Crime
Federal Gun Traces Accurately Reflect Street Crime?
- Firearm Traces: The Anti-Gunners' Big Lie
- Letter from the Former NRA President to George
- Regarding his Resignation from the NRA
- Clinton Attempting to Ban Guns by Banning Bullets
- Not for Praise, but for Principle
- Banning Guns By Banning Bullets
- 2012 NRA
Firearms Fact Card
- For Many Other Articles,
See Those Collected at the
- NRA Site (Don't Miss the Box at the Bottom of the Page)
Articles from the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF)
- Fact Sheets and Backgrounders
Medical Research, Statistics & Related Articles
Suicide and Firearms — NRA
- The Kellerman Study
Doctors Call for Gun Seizures, It’s Grand Malpractice by J. Neil Schulman
The National Center for Injury Prevention and Control
- The Federal Factoid Factory on Firearms and
- The Writer's Guide to Firearms and Ammunition
and Fact Sheets and Backgrounders,
- rkba.com has more Information in its Research
Historical, Legal and Other Research Information
- The War on Guns
- Constitutional Defense
- Second Amendment Law Library
- The Unabridged Second Amendment
by J. Neil Schulman
- Guns and Violence: A Summary of the Field
by Gary Kleck
- The Second
Amendment and the Historiography of the Bill of Rights
- The right of
the people or the power of the state bearing arms,
- arming militias, and the Second Amendment
by Stephen P. Halbrook
- The Right
to Keep and Bear Arms, The Legacy of Republicanism vs. Absolutism
- By Gary A. Shade
- Journal on Firearms and Public Policy,
- Volume 5, Number
1, Fall 1993
- Volume 6
- Volume 12,
- Volume 13,
- Volume 14,
- Other Articles
Politics & Law -- Links to Articles
Rally Speech by Don Kates
Other Interesting Information
- Guns Save Lives
- Abuses of
the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
- Clean-Up ATF -- Run by ATF agents.
- Rec.Guns on the Web
- Directory of places to shoot
maintained by the National Shooting Sports
- which also has an excellent shooting sports related news page.
See especially the Bullet Points newsletter issues.
Organizational and Individual Web Sites